- Aren’t two sparrows sold for a small coin? But not one of them will fall to the ground without your Father knowing about it already. Even the hairs of your head are all counted. Don’t be afraid. You are worth more than many sparrows. (Matthew 10:29-31)
Can you imagine what it takes to watch every living thing on the earth? You would never be able to do anything else. But that’s what the verses we heard says that God does. God tells us:
- “I know all things and I see all things, Child. I know your life from the beginning to the end and everything in between. I created you for My honor and glory; to be a representation of Me in the earth in your lifetime. You are Mine. Do not worry about the future, but place your trust in Me for I am your future. I am the Beginning and the End of all things. Life in Me is what brings contentment into your life. Life apart from Me is void and empty.”
And not only does God watch everyone and everything, we heard that He counts every hair on our head.
Have we ever wondered how many hairs are on our heads? Encyclopedia Britannica found a hair expert to estimate it:
- “On a human head, the average total number of hairs is between 100,000 and 150,000.”
For those of us who are losing ours, the figure is, of course, much lower, but many others with full heads of hair more than make up the deficit. To be conservative, we can say that the average head holds 120,000 hairs.
I know I can’t even keep track of the hairs on my own head (my hair has a mind of its own and does whatever it wants – sometimes I have wings and no amount of hairspray will hold them down). Can you imagine how much work it takes God to count an average of 120,000 hairs on 7,241,824,806 people; that is over seven BILLION, that is with a ‘b’. (And that was just at 4 am this morning; according to the census bureau there are 370,000 births per day in the world). I can’t even imagine the number of hairs God counts each and every second of the day.
When you consider those numbers, we feel pretty insignificant in the scheme of things (at least I know I do). We wonder if anyone cares or even notices us.
But we are reassured in the Scripture that, in fact, God does keep track of each and every one of us. . .
- ALL THE TIME.
So when we get discouraged or depressed or are feeling lost and alone, we need to remember God’s words to us:
- Don’t be afraid. You are worth more than many sparrows. (Matthew 10:39)
Here is a song that keeps me going when I need to be reassured of God’s love:
- His Eye Is On The Sparrow
“Why should I feel discouraged?
Why should the shadows come?
Why should my heart be lonely
And long for heaven and home
When Jesus is my portion?
My constant friend is He
His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.
Whenever I am tempted,
Whenever clouds arise,
When song gives place to sighing,
When hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to him;
From care He sets me free;
His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.” (Civilla D. Martin)
Delivered at In The Garden, Trinity Episcopal Church on Capitol Square, Columbus, OH, 22 June 2014